Old 12-11-2002, 05:22 PM
Hussein M.

Default Elaeagnus x ebbingei banquet?

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002 08:00:45 +0000, Chris Hogg
wrote:

To be honest, I can't remember. I've never taken much notice of them
as they're pretty insignificant. Certainly none at the moment that I
can see, although plenty of tiny scented flowers. I think the berries
develop slowly over the winter months, but there's only ever a few of
them, nothing like the abundance of flowers, so easy to miss.

Sorry, I could have given a little more info from PFAF to save any
interested person the trouble of looking it up. I have their database
on my local HD you see and it's therefore very easy for me.

"Fruit - raw or cooked[177]. A reasonable size, it is about 20mm long
and 13mm wide although it does have a large seed[K]. The fully ripe
fruit has a very rich flavour and makes pleasant tasting with a slight
acidity[K]. The fruit should be deep red in colour and very soft when
it is fully ripe, otherwise it will be astringent[K]. The flavour
improves further if the fruit is stored for a day or two after being
picked. The fruit ripens intermittently over a period of about 6 weeks
from early to mid April until May[K].

Seed - raw or cooked. It can be eaten with the fruit though the seed
case is rather fibrous[K]. The taste is vaguely like peanuts[K]."

(I don't know to whom or to what "[K]" refers but the [177] indicates
"Plants for Human Consumption" by Kunkel. G. as the source of the
information. (Maybe the "K" refers to Kunkel?)

Respect

Hussein
(Who has, I think, an Elaeagnus in his garden but hasn't a clue as
to the species)