Old 14-07-2005, 03:21 PM
wkearney99

Yes, I wrote that and I stand by it. Some people have the idea that
watering at night must be avoided. Starting watering anytime at night
so that it finishes by about 6AM works perfectly fine. That applies
the water when the air tends to be calm and temps are lowest,
minimizing evaporation. And as I pointed out, it rains in nature at
night doesn't it? The real problems from water come when it's applied
too frequently, keeping the grass constantly wet. That doesn't happen
from watering once or twice a week.

If you're dealing with homeowners not understanding the whole range of
issues it's perhaps safest to just say not to water at night. Especially if
all they setup was a timer on a single zone with a single scheduled event.
They'd end up overwatering the various risks associated with it. Trying say
just because 'nature rains at night' greaty oversimplifies it. Nature does
all sorts of things and quite a few of them are harmful so that argument
really doesn't work. What DOES work is proper watering only as needed.
Timers that support better schedules that are also ACTUALLY programmed to
use them are a must. Not just on at X:XX running for X hours 7 days a week.