Old 14-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Doug Kanter

"Jennifer" wrote in message
ups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
When you first plant them, you'll want to keep the ground moist for a
couple
of weeks. But, once they're mature, they need pretty much nothing...
I've seen them perfectly happy in full sun, part sun, and
deep shade, regardless of moisture. At my last house, they thrived in
winter
temps ranging from 30 down to zero...

I think you just talked me into planting pachysandra, and I wasn't even
looking for a groundcover

--
Jennifer

OK, but I lied just a little. They like a little compost now and then. And,
in theory, they're happiest in the same situations where rhododendrons
smile. So, if the soil is total crap, you might want to amend it a bit
before planting. That usually does NOT mean buying bags of so-called
"topsoil". Maybe add some peat moss if your soil is really dry and lifeless,
and add composted cow manure, or your own homemade compost, if you've got a
pile or bin started. None of this is absolutely necessary, but it helps.

"Flats" of pachysandra seem pretty expensive, but the plants spread very
nicely.

If you add peat moss, don't just take it out of the bag and spread it
around. It's often dry, and will actually suck moisture away from plants. If
you have a wheelbarrow, crumble the peat moss into it and sprinkle with
water. The next day, it should have soaked up the water and expanded. Less
dusty that way, too. If no wheelbarrow, lay the bag flat, slice open the
top, take some out to make a "bowl" that'll hold water, and pour in a gallon
or two. Work your way through the bag that way. The stuff's like a dry
sponge. Toss the sponge in water, and it'll float until it soaks up some
water.