Old 14-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Laura

"madgardener" wrote in message

"Laura" wrote in message

snip

cut the leaves off as they've broken at the soil line. Find some granular
bulb food at the local box store (Home Deprived or Lowes) and sprinkle
some
around the area where you have the glad's planted.

Thanks, will do.

snip
Are they likely to die completely?

No, for you they'll be perennial.

Sorry, I wasn't clear about what I was asking. I know glads are perennial
here; most of them I planted a couple of years ago, some are older than
that.

I was wondering whether the shock of losing all of their foliage so soon
after blooming (before the leaves died back on their own) would kill them.

If not, will they re-sprout now, or should I expect them to go dormant
until next spring?

Had the foliage not been snapped off so soon, you would have known by the
natural decline of the leaves. The leaves feed the corm for next year.
that's why I said to feed about a tablespoon to half cup of granular bulb
food scattered over the glads to suppliment the loss of the leaves to the
corms under the ground.

Assuming the shock doesn't kill them, I was also wondering whether they
would try to re-sprout this season, or just wait for next spring.

snip

...You might dig them up
and seperate the corms and make a larger bed of them, but don't plant them
singularly. I hate seeing those single plants of glads around here
flopping
over pitifully. I'd much rather see a whole wad of them growing thru a
support grid. Hope this helps.

I know what you mean. These are already part of a big bed of glads; only a
section of them were damaged by the falling fence.

I don't use a support grid, though, becuase I cut them for bouquets as they
bloom. :-)

madgardener, gardening up in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36
where
the gladiola's are perennial for us unless we get temperatures that hold
below zero for a couple of weeks............(so far we haven't)

Thanks for the advice,
Laura