Old 14-07-2005, 03:13 PM
David Rance

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

But we still don't have any self-confidence in identifying others. So,
as a result, we never go on mushroom-finding expeditions. Mind you, if
we lived further south I think I would make an effort for cèpes.

Further north, surely? The best cèpe hauls I have ever made have been in
the north west of Scotland.

There are a lot in the South-West of France, in the Pau area.

A few years ago I asked in here about giant puff-balls and I almost got
to the point of wanting to try them. But since then we haven't had any,
although last year we had one or two but I saw them too late to do
anything with them. So I kicked them around a bit to spread the spores.
Maybe this year ........

It's about the right time for them. Best of luck. The favourite place
for them is grazed meadows on flood plains.

I have them in my vineyard!

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK