Old 14-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Klara writes:

| My daughter in Norfolk has had one for three, maybe four years. It

looks
| very happy, but no sign of flowers so far. From this thread it could be
| drainage - but then would it look so happy - or earwigs - but could

they
| destroy every flower on something so large?

No. Nor even on a small one.

Do the tops waggle free of support? Because it won't develop
flowering shoots until they do.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

It only really flowers well on newer growth coming from older woody
frameworks, as Nick says the flowering growth seems to need to be hanging
downwards. And down here will not flower unless in absolutely full sun, mine
is now flowering every year but took 10 years to start! the hybrid Mme Galen
is quicker but a lot more orange and does not self cling.
I have never seen flowers before mid to late August but it is generally a
lot cooler here and it may be in hotter parts it is earlier. (this said
indoors hiding from the heat!)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk