Old 14-07-2005, 05:00 PM
spakker

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from JohnOGroats contains these

words:

Anyone had success in swapping cuttings by post. What is the best way
to do it? I am thinking of wrapping roots in kitchen roll and posting
wrapped in plastic.

Wrap in the pierced plactic that bread often comes in - you don't want
to seal them completely. Wrap the cuttings in damp moss.

I have some bog myrtle which came down as bare-root shrubs, first-class
post. A pic of it last year is at:
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/myrtle2b.jpg

The peat in the planter was covered in the moss the plants came wrapped
in. They're a bit bigger now, and all sorts of seeds which were in the
moss are coming up.

Anyone else up to swapping house plant cuttings?

I might have to cut my rubber tree back soon...

I seem to recall reading that plants usually benefit from hydrogen
peroxide -as this is a disinfectant which decomposes to water and
oxygen-maybe an application of ,say, 3% will help prolong a cuttings life
and kill harmful bacteria.