Old 14-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:29:37 +0100, "Phil" wrote:

My local council have recently planted a Tulip Tree or Yellow Poplar
(Liriodendron Tulipifera) about 30 feet from my house.

This tree can grow up to 100 feet although the council have said they will
make sure that it will not grow more than 50 feet tall.

They are fools. It is impossible to keep a tree destined for great
height cut down to half that height and expect it to flourish. It
would be akin to cutting the feet and head off an overly tall teenager
in order to keep him at "normal size."

Should I be
concerned about the distance that this tree has been planted from my house?
If so, what is the recommended minimum distance a tree of this size be
planted from a house?

Liriodendron is a *big* forest tree. Native where I grew up in the
eastern US. Not at all suitable for any kind of built-up area --
simply out of scale. It's guaranteed to end up blocking somebody's
light, even if it doesn't do anything dire below ground.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, BC, Canada