Old 14-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Mike

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote in message
.. .
Secondly, um, er, all fertilisers are chemicals. In fact, you and me are
made of chemicals. :-)

What about the algae blooms one sees from airplanes, how I was told it was
from excess chemical fertilizers.

0.5-0.5-0.5). But the main value of compost is that it loosens the soil
and increases water retention,

Any problem with composting scraps in your refrigerator (can't leave it out)
and burying before it has broken down? Can you just bury it, or should it
be mixed in with the dirt.

(BTW, peat
moss is nutrionally empty and acidifies the soil. Use it only to improve
water retention, and add limestone or dolomite if necessary.)

How does one purchase those?

.. Fish emulsion is high in
nitrogen and phosphorus.

Fish emulsion being merely chopped up tuna etc?

Downside of composts is that some seeds survive the composting process,
and you will have to do a lot more weeding.

Upside is the surprise when I came back from vacation and found a 4 inch
avocado sapling where I buried one months table scraps.

Guano (bird s**t) is still a
significant source of phosphorus worldwide,

Too bad the Townhouse association had to take down the nest outside my door;
unfortunately the building was also getting hit.

as are bones from our
hamburger animals, and fish, in addition to minerals.

Sounds like calcium too.