Old 15-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Tom Jaszewski

On 13 Jul 2005 20:35:30 -0700, wrote:

" It wasn't you that wrote...

" Lots of people say not to water at night, as wet grass
promotes disease and fungus. However, I think this is mostly
nonsense."

Yes, I wrote that and I stand by it.

And as I pointed out NJ isn't necessarily typical!

Some people have the idea that
watering at night must be avoided.

Once more, IN MOST IF NOT ALL OF THE DESERT SW WATERING AT NIGHT
PROVIDES PERFECT CONDITIONS FOR FUNGAL DISEASE AND IT"S SPREAD IN
TURF!

Starting watering anytime at night
so that it finishes by about 6AM works perfectly fine.

In your narrow field of experience....

That applies
the water when the air tends to be calm and temps are lowest,
minimizing evaporation. And as I pointed out, it rains in nature at
night doesn't it?

VERY SELDOM IN MUCH OF THE SW! Three to six inches of rain each YEAR
doesn't make for much night rain.

The real problems from water come when it's applied
too frequently, keeping the grass constantly wet. That doesn't happen
from watering once or twice a week.

typical Chet!