Old 15-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Dick

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:41:00 -0700, "John H."
wrote:

Hi
My planted tank is about 2 months old and the plants have taken firm root.
I have discus/cardinal tetras primarily but also a plec, cloan loach and 1
angel.
My question is, is it unrealistic to expect a planted tank to have crystal
clear water? There is all kinds of particulates floating around. Its really
bugging me. Should I leave it alone? Is this normal for a fairly new planted
freshwater tank??
tanks alot
John

Clear water is attainable, but tanks differ. Don't ask me why. I
have 5 tanks: the 29 gallon has always stayed clear. One of the ten
gallon tanks cleared early on and stays clear. A 10 I use as a
hospital tank and has no gravel took almost a year before it was
stable and clear. A third 10 gallon tank had small debris for over a
year, no plants did well and a lot of fish died it the tank. It
finally cleared, the plants sprouted and no more ill or dead fish.

On the other hand my 75 gallon tank was a beast to clear. I even
tried the chemicals to clear. They worked, but I hate maintaining a
tank with chemicals. The tank has 2 Penguin 330s. I finally added a
finer mesh filter media. The tank cleared and has stayed clear. I
have to clean the media more often because the filter output starts to
flow out the intake ramps.

I change 20% water twice weekly and never vacuum the bottom. I quit
using charcoal. And, I removed the bio wheels from the 75 gallon tank
since the lower water flow wasn't turning them and I realized my other
tanks were doing fine without bio wheels.

Good luck. Don't worry about your fish. The debris doesn't harm them
so far as I can tell and according to stuff I have read.

I think the water clears as the bacteria get better established. I
think the hospital tank was hard to clear because it has no gravel to
act as a home to the bacteria.

It still amazes me how clear and stable my tanks have become. Once
you get there things are so much nicer.

dick