Old 15-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Colin Hammond

"chris French" wrote in message
In message ,
Rhiannon Macfie Miller writes
I've been thinking of getting a peach tree and planting it in our
greenhouse. A relative has done this very successfully in Wales and I
assume there's no reason it wouldn't work well in Scotland.

Note that Peaches like to have a cold period in the winter to get properly
chilled and go properly dormant, and can be prone to things like Red
Spider Mite and other pests if grown all year round under glass. Just
something to consider esp. if you use the greenhouse for other things over
the winter.

however , growing them in pots works well. Plants are brought under cover
in mid to late winter. Then put back out the next summer.

--
Chris French
I have grown peaches in a greenhouse for years. I prop the windows open in

I purchased a recommended variety, I get large sweet fruit, but the flavour
has always been poor. Perhaps I didn't get the variety I ordered.

Colin