Old 15-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Warren

Tom Jaszewski wrote:
On 13 Jul 2005 20:35:30 -0700, wrote:

" It wasn't you that wrote...

" Lots of people say not to water at night, as wet grass
promotes disease and fungus. However, I think this is mostly
nonsense."

Yes, I wrote that and I stand by it.

And as I pointed out NJ isn't necessarily typical!

Some people have the idea that
watering at night must be avoided.

Once more, IN MOST IF NOT ALL OF THE DESERT SW WATERING AT NIGHT
PROVIDES PERFECT CONDITIONS FOR FUNGAL DISEASE AND IT"S SPREAD IN
TURF!

This year in western Oregon we got a lot of night time rain, and there are a
lot of fungal problems with all foliage, not just lawns. Listening to the
rain as I was falling asleep did not make for pleasant dreams knowing what
was happening to my landscape. (I've never see so much fricken black spot on
my roses as this year, for example!)

Even if it's natural to rain at night, lawns don't exist in nature. So the
argument that it rains at night is irrelevant to whether that's a good time
to water a lawn.

Why create a fungus Utopia if it can be avoided? Watering at dawn is a great
time. Starting a zone at midnight so the last zone is watered at dawn means
that zone started at midnight is a fungus playground even in New Jersey.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Have an outdoor project? Get a Black & Decker power tool::
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/