Old 15-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Jim Lewis

Nina wrote:
I emailed Tekmanx offlist, but this got me to thinking: I have *never*
gotten a query about one of these bonsai kits on my "bonsai doctor"
site. I get every other kind of newbie phenomenon: sulky serissa,
crispy juniper, sticky fukien tea, so I wonder if these things are so
spectacularly unsuccessful that no one ever gets the seeds to germinate
and live long enough to ask me a question. I cry whenever I see one of
these kits in a store. The *Smithsonian* sells them.

Bookstores (Barnes & Noble and Borders) sell them, too -- on
the shelves with the books -- in the gardening section.
There's a "Mini-Bonsai Kit" and a "Bonsai Kit." Also a "Zen
Garden" kit.

Another way to rip money from the pockets of the
unsuspecting. At least in the Mini-Bonsai Kit, the seeds
are from the Italian Stone Pine. The instruction book
measures 1/8 inch thick by 2 x 2 inches, about 8 pages. The
info in it is OK -- nothing that will flat-out kill
seedlings. But nothing that will result in a bonsai for the
unsuspecting buyer, either.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --