Old 15-07-2005, 03:20 PM
RainLover

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:03:48 GMT, "Travis"
wrote:

Tihomir wrote:
Come on Trevis. If identification without flower would be
impossible, one could just wait for decades. There's often at least
something we can tell just looking at young shoots or branches

"BambooKeijzer" wrote in message
oups.com...
But it may be sufficient, especially the new shoots. Furthermore,
you can feel the culm too. The Phyllostachys aureosulcata species
have a sandpaper feel. You can push your hand down, and it feels
rough, but you hardly can move your hand upwards.
Give it a go.

I'm no taxonomy expert but people on the bamboo mailing lists I
subscribe to have said it many times. Some bamboos can only be
identified for sure by seeing all the physical characteristics including
the flower. That is just the way of bamboo.

Am I the ONLY person who cracked up over this 'flower id' thing?

Someone asks: "what sort of bamboo is this"
Answer: "show us a flower from it"
Someone: Okay, here is a flower.
Answer, "It's Yellow Grove, but since you showed me a flower it's now
going to DIE."

Hehhe

James, Seattle