Old 15-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Tihomir

"Travis" wrote in message
news:UVwBe.20825$O56.10221@trnddc07...
Tihomir wrote:
Come on Trevis. If identification without flower would be
impossible, one could just wait for decades. There's often at least
something we can tell just looking at young shoots or branches

"BambooKeijzer" wrote in message
oups.com...
But it may be sufficient, especially the new shoots. Furthermore,
you can feel the culm too. The Phyllostachys aureosulcata species
have a sandpaper feel. You can push your hand down, and it feels
rough, but you hardly can move your hand upwards.
Give it a go.

I'm no taxonomy expert but people on the bamboo mailing lists I subscribe
to have said it many times. Some bamboos can only be identified for sure
by seeing all the physical characteristics including the flower. That is
just the way of bamboo.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

That's my point. Some bamboos can only be identified by seeds and flower.
But many common species can be rather reliably identified by their shoots
and branches. That is just the way of bamboo. ;-)

Never mind...

Tihomir