Old 15-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Dano

John I cannot work with rocks because they so often catch my mower.

I do agree about earthworms and hope that the asphalt shingles increase
the earthworm population.

But I suspect the carcinogen claim or claim of bad chemicals in the
shingles are false claims. People think there are bad chemicals but
have no data.

I suspect that any chemicals in the roof shingles are broken down by
the time they become degraded into the soil.

Can you list, John, a list of the top five bad chemicals in these roof
shingles that you claim would end up in the soil. Again, I would
estimate that all the chemicals would be degraded and altered by the
time the shingles became soil.

[snip]

Excuse me, John, but in case there is anyone still unswayed, a good ref
to show that carcinogens (what I said earlier - heavy metals) are in
shingles, is:

Van Metre, P.C., Mahler, B.J. 2003. The contribution of particles
washed from rooftops to contaminant loading to urban streams.
Chemosphere 52:10 pp. 1727-1741

Now, everyone, please. Shingles are a fantastically bad idea. I hope no
one is considering this idea. Fer chrissake, stop this madness.