Old 15-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Sue Marsh

Craig-I find the Portulacaria's are much much happier outside than in a
window, even a sunny one... the ones I have on my windowsill grow much
slower, are more leggy, and are soft and pale compared to even the ones that
are in the shade outside (I'm in S. Florida).... And actually, the
variagated ones seem to do better inside that the regular ones!
Portulacaria's are from africa and grow out in the full sun really well....
and mine don't seem to like the air conditioning.. Perhaps a jade tree would
take it better?

From: Craig Cowing
Subject: [IBC] Bonsai Newbie
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:34:28 -0400

On Jul 15, 2005, at 3:26 PM, Tekmanx wrote:

I guess I better be very carefull what I ask here..getting flamed in
all.. j/k. Ok, so what do you suggest for growing indoors? And I'm in
Miami/The Bahamas. Something I can sit on my comp desk and say..
ocassionally set at the window for sunlight.

I'd go with a succulent. A jade tree, Crassula argentea/arborescens/ovata,
or Elephant bush, Portulacaria afra (solid green, not variegated.)

Craig Cowng
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: