Old 15-07-2005, 09:43 PM
John McGaw

Leon Trollski wrote:
Wondering about the residual toxicity especially on shears etc. I find this
oil is very good at keeping moving parts moving, rusty bits clean, so I dab
it on the leading edges and joints, and wipe down prior to storage.

But could I be harming my plants?

Considering that people intentionally spray their fruit trees with
dormant oil -- a petroleum based product meant to kill off insects -- I
doubt that a minute amount of WD-40 on a tool would be a great danger to
the plants. One of the commonly suggested treatments for garden tools is
to keep a bucket of coarse sand saturated in oil (often waste oil
drained from a vehicle!) into which tools are plunged to clean and coat
the metal and I've not heard of any problems with the method.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]