Old 16-07-2005, 02:25 AM
George

"Charles" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:36:04 GMT, " George"
wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:55:43 GMT, " George"
wrote:

(snip)

If calcium is the only reason to use one over the other, you can always
use
limestone in your waterworks (like waterfalls and such), and still use
the
sodium bentonite, if it is more readily available, which I believe is
the
case.

I don't think limestone would work in my water, it would probably
grow. Our city water is hard, it runs from 600 to over 1000 ppm tds.

I'm not promoting the koi clay, I just read a couple articles in
magazines and thought I'd give it a try. An uncontrolled experiment,
any results are meaningless, but it was something to do.

Snake oil maybe, but if your snake squeaks...

:-)

--
Charles

Does not play well with others.

If your city drinking water has TDS of 600-1,000 ppm, it outside of EPA's
National Secondary Drinking Water Regulations, which set the recommended
maximum contaminant levels (mcl)for TDS in drinking water at 500 ppm.
These are non-enforceable guidelines at the Federal level. However, many
states have adopted them as part of their own drinking water standards.
You should check with your state to see what the allowable mcl for TDS
is:

http://www.epa.gov/safewater/mcl.html#mcls

See the chart at the bottom of the page.

The statement that the city sends out each year says they can go to
1000. They got their wrist slapped a couple years ago for not
reporting the 1040ppm that they sent out, got fined or something.

It's a good thing it's not enforceable, they'd have to turn off our
water.
--
Charles

Does not play well with others.

Like I said, the Federal EPA's secondary drinking water standards are not
enforceable on the federal level. There are recommended levels. However,
many states use and enforce those standards. Perhaps yours doesn't.
Thankfully, mine does, because I have a marine aquarium and have a RO
filter that I use to make the water. I certainly wouldn't want to have to
change my sedimentation filter and carbon filter as often as it would take
with such high TDS. Our TDS concentration here is about 100 ppm. That has
a lot of benefits because it allows one to more easily control what is in
the pond water. It is much easier to add things than it is to try to remove
them.