Old 16-07-2005, 12:59 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "derek" contains these words:

My lawn was neglected for a couple of years while I was away - over the past
two years it's been cut regularly and had a bit of feed. But there's a lot
of moss and dead grass in it, and when it's cut, it has yellow patches and
a few bald patches because of the weeds, moss and dead grass.

So, what do I do now? Kill all the existing green, wat for 2 weeks and
re-seed the whole thing?
Just buy some turf and lay it?

Or what?

I'm kinda lost at this sort of thing, but I would like to have a nice green
lawn!
Can anyone advise, or point me in the right direction?

Buy a small bag of garden lime and a little sharp sand. Mix them, and
distribute as evenly as possible over the lawn.

Pray for rain.

You can use a spring (wire) rake to scarify the surface, rake out moss
and dead grass, and generally distribute the sand and lime.

Later, you can apply a lawn feed, with or without a broad-leaved weed killer.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/