Old 16-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Rupert

"Mark & Mel" wrote in message
Hi,

What is the best thing to preserve UK railway sleepers (I'm not sure of
the wood), the sleepers in question will be sunk in to the ground and
others used as soil retainers.

Is it as simple as putting creosote on and maybe using some sort of vapour
barrier between the soil and sleeper?

Many thanks in advance,

Mark.

Old railway sleepers contain a variety of preservatives which are toxic and
vary in composition depending on the original source of the sleepers. Modern
repro sleepers contain less toxic materials or non at all.
I would certainly try to prevent the soil leeching out the preservatives
particularly in the case of old sleepers.