Old 16-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Phil" contains these words:

I have seen some photos of the Tulip Tree on the web, with a particularly
spectacular example of its Autumn foliage at the famous landscaped gardens
at Stourhead in Wiltshire, England.

I found on the ABI (Association of British Insurers) website that only
Willows are likely to do more damage to properties. Tulip Trees are quite
thirsty and likely to extract a lot of water from the soil, which is a big
problem in this part of England as the soil is heavy clay.

I'd present that info to some higher level of you insurance company,
and suggest in an encouraging manner that they may care to urgently
review their earlier mistake, before it costs them a lot of money.

If that hoodie vandal doesn't turn up, the last resort would be to
get your solicitor to write a letter to the council including distances,
tree facts, your concerns for future damage, and give them due
forewarning.

Janet