Old 16-07-2005, 02:04 PM
ned

wrote in message
oups.com...
quoteWhat is the best thing to preserve UK railway sleepers (I'm

not
sure of the
wood), the sleepers in question will be sunk in to the ground and
others
used as soil retainers.

Is it as simple as putting creosote on and maybe using some sort of
vapour
barrier between the soil and sleeper?

Creosote is now a banned substance in the UK, railway sleepers

treated
with such are not allowed to be sold, so any you buy now, new or
secondhand, will be treated with less hazardous materials, but

should
still be treated. In any case an untreated one will last for many
years,

...............and provide food, hiding places for many insects.

Oh well said Mike. A man after me own heart.
But, just wait for the howls of protest. :-))

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 12.07.2005