Old 16-07-2005, 04:00 PM

In the Ortho book Creating Water Gardens, they recommend 17 gallons for
every inch of Koi...
I am just starting out in ponding, so will find out firsthand in a few
months...

In all my freshwater fishtanks (indoors), I have used 1 gallon for every
inch of fish.
In my sal****er tank, I double that number to 2 gallons for every inch of
fish.
With ponds getting that much more outside exposure to dirt, contaminants and
the like, I can see the need for more gallons per inch of fish...

It has been my experience that the more you filter and clean the filters,
the more fish you can tolerate in a fishtank.
However, with lots of fish, the minute something goes wrong, the faster it
impacts the little critters !
The 2 gallons per inch being the least amount of water you would ever want
in a sal****er aquarium..
You also want more dissolved oxygen in the water on the plus side, and less
suspended waste in the water.
Then of course there's the nitrogen cycle too....good biological filtration
will help there as well as good plantings.

Good Luck!
Joe

----------------------------------
"V.V." wrote in message
Thanks Jan and all-

My plan is to stock it with some fish (may start out less expensive than
Koi until I get the hang of it and get it stabilized) as well as put
plants around it for shade and decor/color. Not sure if I want to hide
the sides with just plants or enclose it with pavers or the like. I will
also be getting or creating a nice water fall feature, something more
zen-like...not done my research yet. I may get a frog or two as well. I
don't want too many critters, just enough...any suggestions for how many
koi/fish would be good for that size?

Vince

"~ janj JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Normally I don't cross post as many are filtering such out in Rec.Ponds,
(FYI).

Hello all, I finally found a tub from Tractor Suppy Company. Wondering
if
y'all can give me some pointers. The tub is galvanized metal, 6ft in
diameter, 375 gallons. I have a two part question involving pump and
heat.

I live in Naples Florida. Is there any issue having an above ground pond
in
temperatures like we have here? My pool water is 85 degrees right now.
imagine, even with the shade from plants around the tub, that the water
will
get warm.

Second, for that size, I'd like reccomendations on reaonsably priced
pump/bio filters (or what price is reasonable when looking) for this
size.
Also would like to know which types of filter/pump is the easiest to
maintain and take care of. Finally, do you recommend an ultra violete
addition? Vince in Naples

Filtration is really based on what you plan to have in the pond. If only
plants and a couple of fish, you could get by with a good air pump and
air
stone. So what's your long term plan? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a