Old 13-11-2002, 05:54 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default do I need a greenhouse?

In article ,
Judith Lea writes:
| In article ,
| Lobo Carrasco writes
|
| Hello Antonio, I live in the East of England at Norwich - 40 minutes
| flying time from Amsterdam.

Cambridge isn't much further :-)

| Winter is coming and I was thinking of building some kind of plastic
| greenhouse in my small parterre. I have rosemary, thym, roses,
| lavender, begonias and geraniums. I don't know if they will make it
| through the winter without protection of not, what do you think? This
| is the Netherlands, so the climate should be close to the east coast
| of UK.
|
| You really do not need to protect roses, thyme, lavender or rosemary,
| they are hardy.

The last three are prone to dying off in the spring from waterlogging
during the winter, but the only useful 'protection' is to give them
better drainage next time - and it isn't worth worrying about that
unless it happens. They can take any reasonable amount of frost.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679