Old 16-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Chris Hogg

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:19:22 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

For those that may think ants can't damage roots.....
I came back from holiday and found some sick looking plants in our
greenhouse which turned out to be because black ants had made them into an
extended nest. They had removed some soil from the pots to make walkways
between the pots, even up the staging to the next level, and the soil in
the pots was riddled with holes and passageways full of ants and their eggs
etc. I got the impression that somehow they had made the soil in these pots
less able to soak up water but it may just be an illusion, the soil was
certainly a lot dryer than I expected.
I gathered them all up and repotted them putting the soil/ants nest in a
plastic sack which I took down to my allotment and tipped out in a pile in
some long grass. I washed out the pots and replanted the plants in fresh
compost.

To get rid of your ants use "Nippon", it has to be fresh and it's always
worked for me. Just follow the instructions.
Your plants will probably need repotting afterwards.

I totally agree with you. Ants are not the benign little creatures
that some would have us believe they are. I've lost several gazanias
and small hebes this year, recently planted, and when the collapsed
remains were dug up, ants were in the roots of all of them. I don't
think it was desiccation. The soil was nicely damp, but the plants
seemed to have been cut through just below ground level. Mostly red
ants BTW. Other plants nearby were/are growing strongly.

I don't do much about it, but I will have a go at ants undermining
patio slabs or raising humps in the lawn.

--
Chris