Old 17-07-2005, 01:53 AM
Marty Haber

One thing is in your favor - you've got enthusiasm. Now about the stuff you
bought. The soil is an ordinary potting mix: good for annuals and other
herbacious plants, but not good for bonsai. Why? Because it holds too much
water and has insufficient drainage. You need soil with large particulates
which will let the water drain away from the roots quickly.
As for the pots or trays, I see no holes in the bottom for drainage. You
could drill some holes, but they would still not do the trick when planting
seeds. They could be used much later, after the seeds have germinated and
developed good root systems.
Do yourself favor and start with mature nursery stock. Growing from seed is
fine, but takes forever to become a bonsai.
Your $8.50 purchase was cheap indeed, but one gets what one pays for. Good
luck!