Old 13-11-2002, 07:19 PM
Andy Spragg

Default Germination of Banana seeds

Gareth Jones pushed briefly to the
front of the queue on Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:20:12 +0000, and nailed this
to the shed door:

^ Hi Folks!
^
^ I planted some banana seeds (some type of Musa ... can't quite remember
^ exactly what but they were from Chiltern seeds). Its been some months
^ now and nothing has appeared. The seeds don't seem to have rotted, they
^ just don't seem to have done anything!
^ I even chipped a couple to see if that was the problem.
^
^ How long should they take to germinate?
^ I'm also wondering about the temperature, is now not very warm where
^ they are (unheated room of house = 10-13 degrees C) what do they like?

I've germinated two or three over the years (and failed with a few
more). They are very hit and miss - the official line is that they
will take anything from a few weeks to a year or more. My limited
experience would say two to three months.

Did you soak them in a warm place for a couple of days before
planting? I think that's pretty important. I never chipped any of
mine. And I presume you sealed the pot in a plastic bag? That's pretty
critical too. The rest is just luck, I think.

Andy

--
sparge at globalnet point co point uk

Look after the sins of write-commission,
and the sins of read-omission will take care of themselves.