Old 17-07-2005, 01:05 AM
ned

Mike Lyle wrote:
ned wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:

[...]
Why, I wonder, do some people think Usenet is a mechanism for
generating howls of protest?

....... See above. :-)

(No, OK, don't answer that: it's like
some little boys think a Peugeot hatchback is a mechanism for
generating rhythmic thuds. All I can say is, when I had one I

didn't
use it that way, and I don't generally employ my bit of Usenet to
get howls of protest, either. I bet small-n ned has a Fiesta.)

Sorry big-M Mike big-L Lyle. Lost your bet, big time! :-)
'Got to admit that I started off with a 1936 Ford 8 but, that was
some 50 years ago.

Oh, well, if betting was certain, it wouldn't be betting! Maybe
that's why I only do it this way! (Was that a V8 Pilot, by any
chance? Or did they come later? You can baffle me any time with
cars.)

The Ford 8 (model Y, 4 cylinder side valve, 8 HP) was one of Henry
Fords early production line models. Famed for the sales line, "You can
have any colour, so long as it's black."
Cost £100 new in 1936, mine cost me £120 in 1955.
It was reknowned for reliability but not speed.
I'm ashamed to say that in my impetuous youth I accepted a challenge
to race an Aston Martin. The Aston won hands down - and it was in
reverse!
I think the Ford V8 Pilot was quite a bit later. A monster compared to
the Model Y.
Ah me. That stirred some cobwebs.

Apologies for OT digressions.

--