Old 17-07-2005, 05:26 AM
Steve

simy1 wrote:

This year I have left scapes on a number of garlic plants, in part to
give away (my garlic is very popular) and in part to get garlic shoots
next spring. The bulbils have grown nicely and will be ready in a
couple of weeks. Should I replant the bulbils right away, or store
them, and if so, fridge or room temperature?

I see that you didn't get an answer so I'll tell you what I do.
I always leave several scapes. When they are mature, they will just
crumble into individual bulbils in your hand when you give them a
squeeze. I always just throw the hand full on the ground where I want
some garlic in the future. I don't know what percentage makes it that
way but I always have more than I need.
You probably realize that a bulbil doesn't form a full garlic head the
first year. Mine form one large clove. Those large single cloves form
into a nice garlic the next season (bigger than a smaller clove taken
out of a group).
That's what I do but it doesn't fully answer your question. If you want
to hold on to some bulbils to share with others, I'm pretty sure that
room temperature would be fine. (think how long you can keep harvested
garlic at room temperature.) Just make sure the bulbils get planted in
the fall sometime if you don't want to plant them sooner.

Steve in the Adirondacks