Old 17-07-2005, 06:35 PM
RR

"simy1" wrote:

This year I have left scapes on a number of garlic plants, in part to
give away (my garlic is very popular) and in part to get garlic shoots
next spring. The bulbils have grown nicely and will be ready in a
couple of weeks. Should I replant the bulbils right away, or store
them, and if so, fridge or room temperature?

We store a lot of garlic bulbils as follows:
They'll never grow after this method but, they make an extremely
popular addition to a pickle tray at a party ;-).

Pickled Garlic Bulbils

1 liter water
1 liter garlic bulbils
15 ml pickling spice
500 ml white vinegar
250 ml water
150 grams granulated sugar
10 ml pickling salt

To make peeling the bulbils easier, bring the 1 liter of water to a
boil. Add garlic bulbils to the boiling water, return to a boil then
quench in ice water. Peel skins from bulbils.
Meanwhile, tie pickling spice in cheesecloth bag or use large tea
ball.
Place all remaining ingredients in stainless steel saucepan, add
pickling spices, bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Remove
pickling spices. Add peeled garlic bulbils to hot syrup and then
quickly ladle into hot 250ml Mason jars. Affix lids and screw bands
and process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes.

Yield: 4-250ml jars

Enjoy.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
New AgCanada Zone 5b
43º17'15" North
80º13'32" West
To email, remove the obvious from my address.