Old 17-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Ray

Default OT Free/Cheap VOIP

In case some of you haven't discovered it yet, and have a microphone
attached to your computer, you might consider Skype (skype.com). It is a
voice-over-internet-protocol service based in Europe that allows absolutely
free Skype user-to-user telephone calls, AND you can call out to land lines
for roughly $0.02 per minute. Those calls actually come from Europe, so
when calling a land line, you have to put a "+" and the country code ("1"
for the US) in from of the area code and number (e.g., the First Rays phone
number has to be dialed +12153409775).

My brother-in-law, the IT professional, turned me onto it while we were at
the beach, and I now have it on my home PC, my work laptop and my Pocket PC.
At work, the network managers have the particular ports blocked, but it
works if I use dial-up. Theoretically it has to have at least a 33.6k
connection, but I spoke to my brother-in-law just fine at 24k.

I spoke to my mother in Daytona Beach last night - she is anything but
computer literate - and she didn't even know I was using the computer!