Old 18-07-2005, 12:08 AM
John Savage

Dianna Visek writes:
How ripe do peaches have to be before picking? (I'm in competition
iwth squirrels.) My peaches are orange but hard. Will they ripen
inside?

Peaches destined for market are picked while still quite green and hard
and they do ripen nicely, though I think if they are allowed to ripen
on the tree they'd be even tastier. Keep in mind that peaches can be
picked when quite green and tasteless, yet they'll still stew beautifully
and taste delicious. Stew means boil in water and sugar until they soften.

In any race with wildlife, the wildlife will always win. :-(