Old 17-07-2005, 11:02 PM
keith ;-\)

"Phil L" wrote in message
news
keith ;-) wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote in message
:: . uk...
::: JennyC wrote:
::::: "Phil L" wrote in message
::::: . uk...
:::::: Matt Durkin wrote:
:::::::: Hi All,
:::::::: I seem to have a number of plants that prefer pure water (as
:::::::: opposed to our very hard tap water).
:::::::: I only have a very small garden and nowhere to easily catch
:::::::: rainwater. Is there anything I can do to treat the tapwater so as
:::::::: to remove the salts that my plants don't like.
::::::
:::::: Use the rainwater from your house roof, you can get an adapter

which
:::::: fits onto your downspout and directs the rainwater into a water
:::::: butt....the ones I've seen don't allow the butt to overflow and
:::::: re-directs surplus water into your drains.
:::::
::::: Phil, OP mentions NOT having room for a water butt .........
:::
::: I read it as him having nowhere to collect it *from*, IE a shed or
::: greenhouse roof
:::
:::::
::::: I wonder if boiled (then cooled!) water would do ?
::::: Or maybe water sold for irons?
::::: Jenny
:::
::: TBH I can't imagine that any plants would care one way or another,

many
::: animals are water based (us included) and hardness/softness is of no
::: importance!

:: You are Wrong!
::
:: --
:: Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.

Aside from top posting which I won't mention(!) would you like to

elaborate,
or are you saying that *everything* I've typed is incorrect?

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Don't you find top posting easier to read,I click reply to post ,type my

message & click send! its that easy.
You are wrong saying hardness/softness is of no importance to plants.Most if
not all plants would prefer rain water obviously to tap water. The OP was
referring to nepanthes & orchids which definitely prefer
rainwater,hard/alkaline water can lock up important minerals,so the plant
would suffer over time.
Keith