Old 17-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Bob Hobden

"Rhiannon Macfie Miller" wrote after Bob Hobden wrote:

Garlic should be planted outside in September/October and if so will now
be hanging in the shed as mine are. They are as tough as it gets and are
probably the hardiest veg crop there is. This year has been our best
Garlic crop ever.

I planted spring planting garlic in April, and I wouldn't have thought it
would be ready yet. The tips are just turning yellow now.

Garlic should be planted in Sept/Oct not the spring and will grow throughout
the winter if the weather is above freezing. Some old books (and indeed old
gardeners) still say plant in the spring but they are wrong if you want good
heads. They probably didn't know how hardy it is.
If you plant it in the spring then you will only get small heads with small
cloves as it will stop growing about the same time anyway, i.e. now.
You've seen, or will see, what spring planted is like so later this year try
planting it in September and you will then see the difference.

--
Regards
Bob