Old 17-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Phil L

keith ;-) wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote in message
:: news ::: keith ;-) wrote:
::::: "Phil L" wrote in message
::::: . uk...
:::::: JennyC wrote:
:::::::: "Phil L" wrote in message
:::::::: . uk...
::::::::: Matt Durkin wrote:
::::::::::: Hi All,
::::::::::: I seem to have a number of plants that prefer pure water (as
::::::::::: opposed to our very hard tap water).
::::::::::: I only have a very small garden and nowhere to easily catch
::::::::::: rainwater. Is there anything I can do to treat the tapwater so
::::::::::: as to remove the salts that my plants don't like.
:::::::::
::::::::: Use the rainwater from your house roof, you can get an adapter
::::::::: which fits onto your downspout and directs the rainwater into a
::::::::: water butt....the ones I've seen don't allow the butt to overflow
::::::::: and re-directs surplus water into your drains.
::::::::
:::::::: Phil, OP mentions NOT having room for a water butt .........
::::::
:::::: I read it as him having nowhere to collect it *from*, IE a shed or
:::::: greenhouse roof
::::::
::::::::
:::::::: I wonder if boiled (then cooled!) water would do ?
:::::::: Or maybe water sold for irons?
:::::::: Jenny
::::::
:::::: TBH I can't imagine that any plants would care one way or another,
:::::: many animals are water based (us included) and hardness/softness is
:::::: of no importance!
:::
::::: You are Wrong!
:::::
::::: --
::::: Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.
:::
:::
:::
::: Aside from top posting which I won't mention(!) would you like to
::: elaborate, or are you saying that *everything* I've typed is incorrect?
:::
:::
::: --
::: If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.
:::
::: Don't you find top posting easier to read,I click reply to post ,type my
:: message & click send! its that easy.

So do I but when I start a reply, my cursor is placed at the bottom, where
I've typed 'ZXZ' in this post, and people can follow the natural flow of
information from top to bottom

:: You are wrong saying hardness/softness is of no importance to
:: plants.Most if not all plants would prefer rain water obviously to tap
:: water. The OP was referring to nepanthes & orchids which definitely
:: prefer rainwater,hard/alkaline water can lock up important minerals,so
:: the plant would suffer over time.
:: Keith

Call me an old cynic but water is water! - and I said I doubt if any plants
could care either way, how can dissolved calcium and magnesium be of any
detriment to a plant? - it either utilises them or it doesn't, unless they
are active poisons to a plant I can't see how they would suffer.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

ZXZ