Old 18-07-2005, 05:12 AM
Dianna Visek

I have two compact Red Havens in zone 5b. This is year 4 for them.
In the past, the squirrels took every peach, while quite green. It
was so discouraging, I'd planned to take them out this spring and
replace them with cherry trees. But surprise, surprise, this year the
trees are loaded. My husband went out yesterday and picked at least
700. He wasn't very discriminating about ripeness.

They aren't as sweet as store-bought peaches. Is that due to the
variety or due to being picked a bit too early?

I was impressed at how much better they tasted in jam. Cooking seems
to develop the flavor.

I don't know why this year is different. The squirrel population
seems reduced. There may be more cats in the neighborhood.

Regards, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.