Old 18-07-2005, 01:47 PM
J.C.

"Excalibur" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 14:05:39 +0000, tvrchimaera
wrote:

Hello Brian

In my opinion, raised beds are the only way to go.
I make mine out of 2" x 12" x 10' long. I bought
2- 2" x 12" x 12" long pressure treated pine
boards and cut 2' off of each board and put the
frame together with decking screws. I place the
frames in their final resting place and mark the
outline with a shovel. I then skim the surface of
the ground and remove all the grass. I then cut a
piece of landscaping fabric a couple of inches
larger than the frames and set the frames on top
of the fabric. I made two of these frames. This
year I bought a pickup truck load (I think it was
about a half cubic yard) of mushroom compost and
that was my only growing medium. I planted three
tomato plants in each of these frames and
fertilized with some dried chicken manure and this
has been my best growing year ever. I picked my
first vine ripe Celebrity tomato the second week
of June. I live in central Alabama.

The only two things that money can't buy, and
that's true love and home grown tomatos.

Do a google search on "square foot gardening". The older, and lazier, you
get the more you will like it. I'm not so sure I would use pressure treated
lumber though.

--
Make it just one gnat to email.

J.C.