Old 18-07-2005, 06:52 PM
dt

Libralove wrote:

dt wrote:

Libralove wrote:

Victor Martinez wrote:

dt wrote:

Different strokes, man! I prefer the more "natural" look to the
formal. Especially when the formal looks like it cost more than
I'll ever see. I go more to get ideas than to ooh and aah anyway.

I never said anything about natural or formal ponds, I merely
stated that most of the ponds I've seen in the tour are not
worthwhile.

Victor Martinez wrote:
dt wrote:

Different strokes, man! I prefer the more "natural" look to the
formal. Especially when the formal looks like it cost more than
I'll
ever see. I go more to get ideas than to ooh and aah anyway.

I never said anything about natural or formal ponds, I merely stated
that most of the ponds I've seen in the tour are not worthwhile.

Sorry, Victor, but I differ with your estimation of the annual
Austin pond tour. Some years are better than others because they try
to rotate and have different and new ponds every year.

Some of the ponds will be very new and it takes a couple of years
for them to really grow into the landscape and look natural and
aesthetically married to their surroundings.

The the 3-4 super-duper Austin ponds like Dr. Akins (as good or even
better than the Zilker Tanaguchi pond, IMO) are not on the tour
every year. But if you are into ponds and gardens, seeing all the
different approaches and possibilites from year to year is really
amazing and enlightening. They try to have mostly new/or never
toured ponds every year and some years they are more elaborate and
amazing than others.

I have found that there is some wonderful garden landscaping around
many of them as well. I have not seen the ones on this year's tour,
but I will be the volunteering at N5 as ticket taker/ ticket sales.
You can purchase a ticket at any of the ponds on the PDF map on the
site.

http://www.austinpondsociety.org/tour2005/

A nice donation will be made to the Marbridge Foundation from
proceeds and $10. for two days of touring all the ponds is a real
bargain, IMO. So... Come on out and stop by N-5 and say hello!!

Best to All -- Libralove

N5, eh? Well, look for a short, bearded, weirdo sometime between
11:00 and noon.

And in Victor's defense, when you get right down to it, they're *all*
just "holes in the ground with fish". ;-)

DT
(except my hole's above-ground...at least temporarily)
http://www.thehungersite.com/

So, true, DT! And unless you are used to the Brooklyn Botanical
Gardens ponds, then some should be interesting.

Because my time is unfortunately limited this year, I called the
President, Helge, and he said (off the top of his head) that N-11 is
large and beautiful with some whopper Koi and S-7 as well as S-12 are
some of his personal favorites this year.

This is from his memory and on his cell phone while busy with other
duties, so... He said there are several really nice ones, but he
remembered those 3 especially at that moment.

Tall_blnd_long_hare_no_beard 1pm-5pm, N-5 -- Libralove at N-5--

Sorry I missed you! I really liked N-5's whole yard; also N-3 and N-11
on Saturday, and S-11 on Sunday. S-7 was nice; didn't make it as far
as @-12

DT

http://www.thehungersite.com/