Old 18-07-2005, 03:36 PM
DigitalVinyl

"shazzbat" wrote:

"Jag Man" wrote in message
. ..
One of my bushes is producing fruit like this:

http://sowell.ecs.fullerton.edu/othe...atoProblem.JPG

What's causing this? Will it spread to other plants?

It's called Blossom end rot. It's caused by the soil drying out esp. as the
fruit is forming. There is no treatment, that fruit is toast, but if you
keep the compost moist the rest should be OK. Probably a good idea to remove
any like that and the plant will put it's energies into the remaining/yet to
come fruits.

Steve

My understanding is there is nothing wrong with the tomato, just cut
off the bad end. Also it has been said that you'll see it with the
stress of first fruit, then it goes away.

If true lack of calcium in the soil is the problem BER foliar sprays
exists to immediately benefit the plant and adding calcium (eggshells)
should raise the calcium level in the soil. However, it is usually a
water issue. Too dry and too wet. Too dry means the leaves aren't
bringing nutrients up to the tomatoes. Too wet and the leaves are so
busy perspiring moisture that the nutrients fast track to the leaves
and deprive the fruit. Other problems can also cause it and other
problems, but are less likely, like a bad ph or other deficiency that
screws with the chemical reactions that the plant relies on to live.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph