Old 18-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Gail Futoran

"Ron" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a hillside that gets full sun. How much and how often do we need
to water carpet roses? We also have lantana and rosemary planted on the
hillside.
TIA
Ron

What kind of soil? Plants in clay have different
water requirements than plants in sand (to mention
extremes).

Whereabouts are you? If you don't get much
heat that dries out soil, you won't need to do
as much watering (all else being equal) compared
to an area that gets a lot of heat).

Is the hillside bed mulched? That not only keeps
temperatures more even than with no mulch,
but helps keep soil from drying out.

By "full sun" do you mean all day (8 hrs plus)
or less? I have a friend whose back yard is
full of big trees. There are spots that get
full sun - but not for very long!

What do you mean by carpet roses? Minis?
Ramblers? If you don't know their actual
names, can you describe them (generally)?

I have both lantana and rosemary and find
them fairly drought tolerant. I.e., I water
them a lot less than I water my roses. OTOH
some roses (like minis & ramblers) generally
require less water than their bigger brothers.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA Zone 8