Old 18-07-2005, 10:17 PM
PatK

DigitalVinyl wrote:

PatK wrote:

DigitalVinyl wrote:

PatK wrote:

Hi all,

I've got a problem with one of my zucchini plants and I can't figure it
out. We've had a bit of rain the past week and my zucchini plant has
fallen over and looks like it's wilting. It was doing great up until we
got the rain. I first thought maybe the rain knocked it over, but it
seems to be wilting. It looks like the root isn't broken or anything.
Any ideas?

Follow the main stem and see if there is a lesion or point where the
dieback started. Some squash bugs burrow into the stalk and you'll get
die-off from that point out. If the squash reroots along the stem this
can help avoid it. I lost one of the three I planted early on from
bugs that burrowed in the stem. Otherwise I would expect it to be a
bacterial/disease or somethign attacking the roots.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph

Apparently it was something like that because I went out tonight and the
whole stem was mushy. I just had to pull it up and throw it out. Very
upsetting since it was my best one. I'm thinking maybe the stem rotted
when we got all of that rain.

Pat

I think that's a general secondary problem... when something breaks
the skin of the plant it invites more bugs and rotting at that point.
BER on a tomato invites bugs as a second, bugs that burrow in invite
rot and disease.

Hopefully your other ones will happily produce to make up for the
loss. I've successfully harvested four human-sized zucchini so far, no
two-pounders like last year. Oddly my yellow squash hasn't produced a
single one yet.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph

Just found another one that had the same problem. I sure hope the last
two are okay. Apparently something's going on.

Pat