Old 19-07-2005, 03:35 AM
Warren

Doug Kanter wrote:
They decompose just fine, but like all other vegetable matter, they'll
break down faster if you cut them into smaller chunks. Just use your
regular chef's knife to chop them up. They'll be slippery, though, so be
careful. This is a good time to REALLY sharpen your chef's knife, if
you've been putting it off for 19 years.

Personally, I wouldn't use my good chef's knives to cut corn cobs any more
than I'd use them to prune a tree.

I have a 6hp chipper/shredder, and even it slows when a corn cob hits the
blades. But figure on four or five years for the cob to break down to the
point that you have to think about what that chunk in the compost is if you
don't shred it.

If you don't have a chipper/shredder, it's easier to just throw them in the
garbage, and let the archeologists dig them up next century.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Have an outdoor project? Get a Black & Decker power tool::
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/