Old 19-07-2005, 03:50 AM
Rachel

"PatK" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've got a problem with one of my zucchini plants and I can't figure it
out. We've had a bit of rain the past week and my zucchini plant has
fallen over and looks like it's wilting. It was doing great up until we
got the rain. I first thought maybe the rain knocked it over, but it
seems to be wilting. It looks like the root isn't broken or anything. Any
ideas?

Sounds like squash borers, a common culprit in rapid zucchini wilt. Slit a
stem lengthwise and see if white grub-like worms are inside. At this point
in the season, I don't know if there's much you can do. When I used to grow
zucchini, I would try to fend off the borers by - earlier in the season -
injecting the stems with BT in solution, using an equine hypodermic needle.
I believe this usually added 2-3 weeks to the producing season, but it
didn't completely stop the borers.