Old 19-07-2005, 11:51 AM
Pat Kiewicz

fryman said:

Can corn cobbs be composted?

Yes.

Do they disintegrate as rapidly as other, less "hard" plant materials?

In a hot, active pile, yes, or nearly so.

(The only things that don't disintegrate until after many, many cycles
through the pile are pinecones, big chunks or wood and the stems of
mature squash and pumpkins. I'm not sure that squash stems ever
break down...)

Does it make any difference if the cobbs are cut into smaller pieces?

Maybe a little. I never do more than snap them in half, and don't
always do that.

(attributed to Don Marti)