Old 19-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Stubby

PatK wrote:

Rachel wrote:

"PatK" wrote in message

Hi all,

I've got a problem with one of my zucchini plants and I can't figure
it out. We've had a bit of rain the past week and my zucchini plant
has fallen over and looks like it's wilting. It was doing great up
until we got the rain. I first thought maybe the rain knocked it
over, but it seems to be wilting. It looks like the root isn't
broken or anything. Any ideas?

Sounds like squash borers, a common culprit in rapid zucchini wilt.
Slit a stem lengthwise and see if white grub-like worms are inside. At
this point in the season, I don't know if there's much you can do.
When I used to grow zucchini, I would try to fend off the borers by -
earlier in the season - injecting the stems with BT in solution, using
an equine hypodermic needle. I believe this usually added 2-3 weeks to
the producing season, but it didn't completely stop the borers.

I've got another one dying so I'll look at it if it gives up the
zucchini ghost. G

Dust with Sevin or its replacement Eight. If you split open the stem
to remove the borer, bury under several inches of soil and you might get
roots at that point. [Or come over to my place and take away some of
the zucchini squashs I'm getting. 4 of the 6 plants were supposed to be
winter squashes but they all turned out to be zucchinis!]