Old 19-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Martin Brown

Martin wrote:

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:01:07 GMT, "Matt Durkin"
wrote:

"Kay" wrote in message

Posting etiquette aside, anyone know how to soften tapwater? ;O)
Defrosting freezer - mine doesn't frost up ever.
Letting tapwater stand - doesn't actually soften it.
Brittas filter - apparently does sod all as far as plants are concerned.

Actually it replaces calcium ions with sodium, but plants that are
sensitive to excessive dissolved salts will still not like it much. The
salts build up near the surface of the soil as water evaporates forming
a crust.

Iron water - never heard of it - what is it, and where can it be purchased.

Ionised water? Any garage.

De-ionised water - although rainwater is much very cheaper and easily
available with a little effort for watering plants. Not good enough for
car batteries though which can potentially be damaged by even traces of
common salt from sweat (or tapwater).

I wonder if it's the same as car battery water. I had a pitcher plant that I
watered with this a few years ago. Maybe I should look into that again. I
thought it was rather expensive for water, and I wasn't entirely sure if it
was suitable...

Natural rainwater is perfectly OK. You don't want it too pure either. NB
De-ionised water isn't too good to drink since it may be deionised but
it can still contain organic residues from the exchange column.

Regards,
Martin Brown