Old 19-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Mike Lyle

Ok, I think I will admit defeat on this one and go with the idea of

colour similar to the actual slabs.
I don't know why I even bother cos' she always wins when it comes

decisions on colour and design and then sits back and watches me do
the hard work!

Has anybody any tips on what dye to use etc, I've seen some dye in
Wickes described as 'buff' but the powder looked very yellow, it's
probably not an indication of the final colour. Guess I could try

it
with some broken bits of slab first to see what it looks like.
ps. Is soft sand the same as bricklaying sand?

The colour of your mortar will be influenced by the sand you use. If
that's about the same shade as the slabs, you won't need any dye --
remember you'll be using a weak mix. It'll blend still more with age,
too. If the sand's the wrong kind of colour, yes, experiment first:
those cement colourings can be fierce.

It won't really matter which sand you use, but mortar's generally
made with what builders call "sharp sand", which isn't what's called
the same thing in garden-speak.

One thing to decide is if you want any little plants between the
slabs: if so, you can leave a few small gaps. I've tended to overdo
this in the past, and ended up with a complete mess after a few
years: most times, I think I'd probably do without now.

--
Mike.