Old 19-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Kev Bailey

But you aren't trying to root the moss so I'd guess that willow water
wouldn't do diddly. You need a nutirient that promotes the growth of moss,
especially its spores. Ideally a weakish fertiliser. This is why anything
from coconut milk to buttermilk to diluted manure WILL work. These have long
been used for ageing the stones in Victorian rock gardens (tho' I'm unsure
whether cocnut milk was used).

I'd say most important is selecting the right mosses, breaking it up and
then keeping it damp and protected. They are pretty much bomb-proof, so long
as you don't let them get dry or sunburned.

Kev Bailey

N Wales, UK, Zone 9

http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++